What To Do About a Heel Spur
posted: Sep. 27, 2021.
How your podiatrist in Omaha, NE, can help with heel pain
Heel spurs are painful, and they can keep you from enjoying your life. They are caused by excess calcium deposits which can poke into the soft tissue of your heel. The pain can be excruciating when you try to put weight on your feet. The truth is, heel spurs can keep you on the couch.
Fortunately, your podiatrist can help with heel spur pain. Dr. Kent DiNucci at The Ankle And Foot Clinic in Omaha, NE, offers a wide range of services to take care of your feet. He can help you get relief from a heel spur.
There are a few factors that can increase your risk of developing a heel spur. Your risk of heel spurs increases:
- As you age; people over 40 are at greater risk
- If you carry excess weight; being overweight can cause heel pressure
- If you wear shoes that fit poorly or are worn out; you need supportive shoes
- As you stand for a long period of time; standing puts pressure on your feet
If you have a heel spur, you can try some easy remedies to get relief. Remember to:
- Do gentle stretches of your Achilles tendon and arch
- Take over-the-counter anti-inflammatory and pain medication
- Place ice on your heel several times each day
- Switch to more supportive, cushioned footwear
- Wear heel wedges or inserts in your shoes
For moderate to severe heel spur pain, your podiatrist can help you feel better. Professional treatments for a heel spur include:
- Prescription-strength anti-inflammatory medication
- Custom-fit orthotics, heel wedges, and footwear
- Extracorporeal Shock Wave Treatment or ESWT
You don’t have to suffer from heel spur pain when relief is just a phone call away. To learn more about how your podiatrist can help with a heel spur, call Dr. Kent DiNucci of The Ankle And Foot Clinic in Omaha, NE, at (402) 331-0221. Call now!